No products in the cart.
Want Smaller Pores? It’s Possible!
As we move through the summer months, where our sun exposure is at its peak, it’s important to understand the many harmful side effects of prolonged sun exposure on unprotected skin. Most of us are familiar with the sun causing dark spots and dry skin. But did you know that it can also cause artificially enlarged pores? But, don’t worry; we’ve got you covered!
Let’s start with a refresher on pores. Pores are the tiny dots you see on the surface of your skin. They are minute openings that contain your hair follicles and through which microscopic particles can pass. Pores cover all the skin on your body, but are most noticeable on the face, particularly on the forehead and nose where the sebaceous glands (the glands that produce your skin’s oils) are bigger.
Sometimes pores on the skin can appear enlarged – which is particularly noticeable on the face, as this is the part of the body we look at the most. There are many factors that lead to enlarged pores – including genetics and aging – but one often overlooked factor is sun exposure. Sun damage can actually thicken your skin, which leads to the appearance of larger pores. Additionally, continuous sun exposure over many years of your life can cause the skin to lose collagen, elastin and much-needed hydration. This breakdown of the skin’s vital structures actually causes your skin to shrink and pull at the edges of your pores, making them sag and appear enlarged.
So, is it possible to keep your pores looking small and tight, while still being able to enjoy the sun and outdoors? Yes – thanks to Stemology’s Five Points for Fab Pores!
- Wear a good sunscreen that not only protects your skin from sun damage, but also helps keep your skin healthy and strong. Try our Cell Renew SunVeil™ Complete OneTint™ Moisturizer SPF 17. It’s multifunctional 3-in-1 formula delivers deep hydration to skin while defending it against harmful UVA/UVB rays. And thanks to it’s OneTint™ Techonology that creates a “soft focus” on skin, you’ll see skin imperfections practically disappear from view!
- Stay cool. When our skin gets warmer, our pores actually open (hence the reason your esthetician steams your skin before a facial!). As your skin cools off, your pores shrink. If you’re hot and your pores are opening, apply a cool compress to your face to keep pores small and tight.
- Cleanse and tone your skin regularly. Consistent proper cleansing helps keep your skin’s oil production regulated, while also removing any dirt, debris or makeup that can clog and irritate pores, making them appear larger. Don’t know where to start? Try our Travel Skincare Essentials kit, using it consistently morning and night.
- Book a facial. If you’re suffering from extreme sun damage and/or really enlarged pores, see a professional skin aesthetician to boost your skin rehabilitation through the right skincare products for your specific skin condition. Licensed estheticians can use higher-grade products and formulations than what the average consumer can buy, and they can perform much needed pore extractions. Try Stemology’s Youth Activating Facial. You can find can authorized Stemology spa here.
- Exfoliate. Regular skin exfoliation helps remove dry surface cells and clear out pores, which helps keep pores looking small. Use a scrub or mask one to three times a week for exfoliation, and make sure to wear an SPF as exfoliating makes skin more sensitive to harmful UV rays.