No products in the cart.
Reduce the Appearance of Large Pores With These Tips
Pores are the tiny dots you see on the surface of your skin. They are minute openings that contain your hair follicles and through which microscopic particles can pass. Pores cover all the skin on your body, but are most noticeable on the face, particularly on the forehead and nose where the sebaceous glands (the glands that produce your skin’s oils) are larger. So how can you minimize pores? We’ve got you covered.
Causes Of Enlarged Pores
There are many factors that lead to enlarged pores, including genetics, aging and even sun damage. In order to minimize large pores, we need to first understand what is causing them.
- Genetics: The main factor that contributes to large pores is genetics. If your parents had large pores in their teens and 20’s, then you are likely to have large pores as well.
- Oily Skin:To keep our skin protected, hydrated and lubricated, our bodies produce a substance called sebum, an oily liquid made by the sebaceous glands. Healthy sebum production is essential for the integrity and normal function of the skin as a protective organ of the body. People whose bodies tend to overproduce oil have larger appearing pores. This is due to dirt and oil collecting in the pores, which causes skin to swell, making pores to look larger.
- Hormonally Aging Skin:As you get older, skin loses collagen and elastin, the properties that give skin its elasticity. This breakdown of the skin’s vital structures actually causes skin to shrink and pull at the edges of the pores, making them sag and appear enlarged.
- Sun Exposure:Sun damage, which typically accumulates with age (the older you are, the more you’ve been exposed to the sun), also affects the appearance of pores. It makes skin thicken, causing skin cells to collect around the edges of the pores, which stretches them out. Additionally, continuous sun exposure over many years of your life can cause the skin to lose collagen, elastin and much-needed hydration. This breakdown of the skin’s vital structures actually causes your skin to shrink and pull at the edges of your pores, making them sag and appear enlarged.
Solutions to Large Pores
So, is it possible to keep your pores looking small and tight? Yes! Here’s how:
- Wear a good sunscreen that not only protects your skin from sun damage, but also helps keep your skin healthy and strong. Try our Cell Renew SunVeil™ Complete OneTint™ Moisturizer SPF 17. It’s multifunctional 3-in-1 formula delivers deep hydration to skin while defending it against harmful UVA/UVB rays. And thanks to it’s OneTint™ Techonology that creates a “soft focus” on skin, you’ll see skin imperfections practically disappear from view!
- Stay cool.When our skin gets warmer, our pores actually open (hence the reason your esthetician steams your skin before a facial). As your skin cools off, your pores shrink. If you’re hot and your pores are opening, apply a cool compress to your face to keep pores small and tight.
- Cleanse and tone your skin regularly. Consistent proper cleansing helps keep your skin’s oil production regulated, while also removing any dirt, debris or makeup that can clog and irritate pores, making them appear larger.
- Book a facial. If you’re suffering from enlarged pores, see a professional skin aesthetician to boost your skin rehabilitation through the right skincare products for your specific skin condition. Licensed estheticians can use higher-grade products and formulations than what the average consumer can buy, and they can perform much needed pore extractions.
- Exfoliate. Regular skin exfoliation helps remove dry surface cells and clear out pores, which helps keep pores looking small. Use ascrub or mask one to three times a week for exfoliation, and make sure to wear an SPF as exfoliating makes skin more sensitive to harmful UV rays.
- Use the appropriate skincare. Solve enlarged pores with a skin care regimen that aids in restoring the skin’s natural moisture barrier while balancing hormonally aging skin.
- Add a facial serum like our Cell Revive Serum Complete that encourages firmer, brighter, skin while helping to reduce the appearance of pores
- Adjust your current regimen by adding our Cell Refresh Hydrating Cleanser and Cell Rescue Active Gel Toner to further aid in reducing the appearance of enlarged pores. Cell Renew Hydrating Cleanser washes away dirt and other impurities that can dull skin’s glow, while Cell Rescue Active Gel Toner prepares the skin to receive treatment actives by opening pores and balancing skin’s natural pH.
- Start a whole new skincare regimen focused on minimizing pores. We recommend Cell Revive Serum Complete, Cell Refresh Hydrating Cleanser, Cell Rescue Active Gel Toner andCell Renew Moisture Complete. This is the full package for achieving POREfection.
Have large pores? What tips do you have for reducing their appearance? Tell us in the comments.